Monday, October 7, 2013

Weekend Recap!


Thrifting Finds and Tip of the Day!

I was long overdue for a thrift store trip.  If I don't go once a week, I get kind of anxious about all the deals I may be missing.  Some say this is the first sign of being an addict, but hey, there are other things much worse to be addicted to!

I always start by going to the American Council for the Blind store.  It's extremely hit or miss, but they offer great sales - occasionally all items are 25% off, and other times items cost $0.99 based on their color category.  Every now and then you can find a good deal, but the Goodwill on 34th provides the best brands. I always end up finding some amazing steals there.

As I learn from my wins and losses in this process, I want to share tidbits with you.  One thing I've learned is that you should always look at tags!  Brands like J. Crew and Banana Republic will tell you the item's age by the tag on the side (see example below).  I try to look for items that are good quality and are from the last 3-5 years (though if you can find a staple item in great shape that's older, go for it!).


This item is in the picture of my finds below.  You can also tell an item's age by the tag itself.  For example, a few years ago Ann Taylor Loft started going just by LOFT.  Sometimes companies will change their tag designs too - this happens most frequently with stores like Old Navy or Forever 21.

Below are my finds from Goodwill.  Each item cost $3.52 with tax.  From left to right: Banana Republic Safari Dress; Ann Taylor Sweater (kind of looks like a blob in the photo, but is cute on), and an Anthropologie Cashmere blend cardigan.


I'll unveil my ThredUp finds tomorrow!

Weekend Recap

In addition to my shopping trips, we had a great weekend!  One of the girls that Zach works with got married this weekend.  We've really enjoyed getting to know Macey and her now-husband Aaron.  Their wedding was beautiful - it was located in an old building in downtown Lubbock, and it was a very special day.  My favorite part was that they truly customized their vows to each other - they placed a truly sweet twist on historic vows.  For example, instead of just saying "in sickness and in health", they vowed to pat each other on the back and hold each other's hair back (well, her hair back) when they are sick.  I'm not a big crier at weddings, but their love for and commitment to one another was evident.




I also had to experience my least favorite activity - anything related to cars.  I had to get my oil changed.  I don't know why I get so nervous and flustered every time I go.  Maybe it's because I think the workers will make fun of me for being ignorant.  How do I pop the hood again?

Anyway, I pulled in, and of course, decided to wait in the waiting area instead of in my car.  I was not about to sit in my car and then have to drive it over the grate thing the guy pops out of to change your oil.  No way, Jose.  I get myself a cup of burnt coffee and try to get some Goldfish from the vending machine.  Of course, they get stuck, but I'm not about to get one of them to come help me.  I don't need to appear any more helpless than I already have.  Especially not after I had to go up to them and say "I think my husband said to get like the medium grade stuff...oh, and what's that cost?" You're welcome for the $0.75 donation. Hopefully someone enjoys their free snack.

Then they decide to show me my air filter.  I think to myself, ha, you won't get me on this one suckers.  I say to the guy, "I know they're bad, but I'm on a budget."  He chuckles and walks off.  HA!  It's the little wins :). Needless to say, I'm glad oil changes don't happen very often.


I'll end with my favorite picture of our dog-baby.  She loooooves to be held. 


Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment